Wednesday, April 25, 2012

P2: Senior Accomplishments

This past September, I wrote about my goals and aspirations for the upcoming school year. With less than two months left of my senior year I figured now would be a good time to check back to see where I stand.
When I read this assignment I didn’t think much of it, although when I read the post I realized how much I really have accomplished. An extraordinary amount actually. Reading the post fills me with nostalgia. September didn’t seem that far away until I read what I wrote back then.

At the time I was still considering attending Buffalo State for a few years and then moving out to Chicago where I would finish my education. Since I wrote that, I applied to Buffalo State, and Columbia College Chicago. I was accepted into both, visited both, and then won the Presidential Scholarship at Columbia. Buffalo State may be a good school, but Columbia is located in the heart of downtown Chicago. With twenty-two renovated high-rises located in the South Loop of Chicago, the third largest city in the United States will be my campus this fall.
 
Another topic I discussed was my band. I wrote about how we planned to record a few songs in New York City and at the Goo Goo Doll’s recording facility right here in Buffalo.  Plans turned to action and we accomplished everything we planned. We also had the opportunity to meet and talk for a bit with Robby Takac, Goo Goo Doll Bassist. He’s a very humble and cool guy. The whole process was inspiring. New York city was absolutely amazing. We were there for an entire week. Navigating the city, and living there was a great time full of memories I’ll forever treasure. Another cool thing which happened there was meeting my drummer Jeff’s godfather. I found out that he happened to be an executive at SirusXM Satellite radio. One day he invited Jeff and I to lunch. We felt like rock-stars having an appointment with him on the 36thfloor of The McGraw Hill building in Times Square. He gave us a tour of the company’s headquarters and then took us out for lunch. What an experience, honestly.

With the last few weeks of my high school career flying by I look forward with excitement. Some students are filling up inside with fear. They’re leaving the place which played home to what they consider the best years of their lives. I sure had some great times and inspirational experiences, but my life’s just about to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment